Thursday, April 22, 2010

OMG! What a day

We met some bikers yesterday and we talked about the best way to get out of the park so I could go the direction I needed. They told me the road to Persidio was excellent and it is marked as a scenic route. So, off we went. MY BAD. A great road to a biker is one with lots of twists and turns. OMG! It was horrible. The road was so narrow I could hardly keep the coach on one lane then there were the rocks hanging out. Oh, and did I mention the sign 12 miles in that said there were steep grades and washed out areas? There was more than one 15% grade to go up. We made it but at a blazing speed of 5 mph. I almost asked Val and Maggie to get out and push.

Once we got on a real road the winds kicked up to 40-50 mph. We're now in a parking lot at a Wal-mart in El Paso and the wind is rockin. Hopefully the drive will be better tomorrow.

On a good note, we saw about a dozen big horned sheep. Yes, they ran right in front of the coach as we were flying down a hill. What an exciting day!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like one heck of a wild ride!!! Glad you got through it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, wind can be some rough stuff in a big vehicle. I used to drive my dads van (big 7 seater Ford Econoline from the early 90's) and you could really feel the thing drifting on a windy day. Glad you guys stopped, better safe then sorry. Hope you're having better luck today!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete